Welcome to this week’s Wednesday Medley!
Please copy and paste the questions to your blog. Answer the questions there; please leave a link back to Wednesday Medley. Then leave a link to your blog below so we’ll all know where to visit to read your responses.
1.On this date in 2001, Apple introduced the iPod, a pocket-sized media player. Are you old school with Sony Walkman and CDs? Has your iPhone or smartphone eclipsed those functions? Hop in the car and listen to the radio? Or you don't require a soundtrack to your life?
2. Today we celebrate Mole Day. Not the burrowing subterranean rats. Not angel kisses. Nor the Mexican sauce which is pronounced to rhyme with olé as if we are cheering a matador at a bullfight and is great with chicken and rice.
This mole is a relationship between mass and weight and is a basic unit of measurement in chemistry.
H2O has a molar mass of 18; a mole of water weighs eighteen grams.
It is expressed as 6.02214076 × 1023. Ten to the twenty-third meaning October 23rd and 6.02214076 translating to 6:02 in the morning. Or I suppose if you don't keep military time you could celebrate in the evening, too.
So. Are you a science or math nerd? Which begs the eternal question: Why are we cool and guy nerds are dorks?
3. Because Mole Day is all sciencey, it kicks off National Chemistry Week.
Did you take a chemistry class? What were your first impressions on being in a laboratory classroom? Do you recall your early experiments? Did you have a lab partner? Did you want to strangle her? Was the prospect of capital punishment or twenty—to—life in the slammer and getting a poor grade on your report card a deterrent? Or was her enthusiasm infectious and she was a sheer joy to be around?
ALTERNATE QUESTION: Ever been on a date and the chemistry was just all wrong?
4. National Boston Cream Pie Day. Not a pie. Two yellow butter cakes baked in pie tins. A vanilla custard cream filling with luscious slathering of chocolate ganache over the top. Mmmmm. Custard cream. Luscious slathering of chocolate ganache.
Have you ever spontaneously without forethought gone out to the frozen custard stand or ice cream parlor or soda fountain to treat yourself? Met up with friends for coffee and dessert?
ALTERNATE QUESTION: When reading about something delicious, do you do a mental checklist of ingredients and think about heading to the kitchen to whip up whatever strikes your fancy?
5. Heeeeeeeere's Johnny! Happy Birthday, Johnny Carson! And Happy National TV Talk Show Hostess / Host Day! Have a favorite talk show you regularly watch?
BONUS QUESTION: Do you miss Johnny Carson? Do you think he was a great host who set the standard for current talk show hostesses and hosts?
6. Please share with us something interesting about your week.
Please leave your link below. Thank you!